Greetings BCA Members:
As we progress through the busy 2017 summer building season, your BCA staff enjoys the opportunity of reaching out to you, the membership, with an update on what we have been working on over the past year.
In short, it has been a busy period. We have been focused on expanding the content of our plans room, our networking and fundraising events, and we continue to develop relationships with our procurement partners. Supporting all of these efforts, I must acknowledge the hard work of your BCA team: Alicia Blow and Bryony Buchanan.
Please note the following highlights of our efforts in procurement, education, networking and member care:
- Members and local procurement staff joined in discussions at our Constructing Relations…Constructing Solutions event at Tangle Creek. All participants learned of local municipal 2017 budgets and how the global construction forecast impacts our local economy.
- This year is shaping up to be a record high for the number of projects hosted in the BCA on-line plans room, BestBidz. We have had more than 1,200 projects posted at the mid-point in the year (900 projects hosted at the same time last year). We hope that as a BCA member you are taking full advantage of the on-line plan viewing. You’re not? Give us a call and we can have you viewing plans and specs in no time.
- Partnering with the Simcoe County Heavy Construction Association (SCHCA), the BCA is once again hosting a fall golf tournament at National Pines. Buyers of construction will partner with BCA and SCHCA members to develop new connections and open the lines of communication in a relaxed, stress free environment.
- Stay tuned for additional networking opportunities as we will be hosting an event next spring with a panel of local public spenders. Discussions will open the lines of communication.
- BCA has a busy training schedule and members are taking full advantage of the competitively priced safety training, industry standards courses and the always popular lunch and learns. More than 400 members enjoyed a free lunch while hearing from industry experts who made presentations on building green; defence construction ebidding; defence construction security clearance; drugs and alcohol in the workplace; Employment Standards Act; fleet management; health and safety compliance; hiring and firing; lien essentials; small claims court; surety bonds; technology in construction; and many more. Watch your inbox for upcoming sessions on the Competition Act, the court system, employment law and employee benefit plans.
- Students earned Gold Seal credits by completing our Construction 101 course and BCA now offers members Gold Seal credits on-line. Courses include: Communication; Negotiation and Conflict Resolution; Construction Industry Ethics; Construction Law; Construction Project Management; First Level Supervisor Training; Introduction to Building Information Modeling (BIM); Introduction to Construction Estimating; Confined Space Awareness Training; National Construction Safety Awareness Training; and Pipeline Construction Safety Training.
- The BCA is your source to purchase all CCA and CCDC documents and seals, including the new CCDC 2MA Master Agreement and the CCDC 29, A Guide to Prequalification. You can order on-line from our website or call the office. We are your one stop source for construction related materials such as green books and site signage.
- The ‘always sold-out’ BCA hockey tournament proved to be an action-packed day as teams battled for bragging rights. In the end, it was The Jones Consulting Group that won the cup.
- We hosted our Annual General Meeting at the Ferndale Banquet Hall. Russ Kerr of Vipond Inc. stepped down from his second posting as president, passing the torch to incoming president Robert Stiemer.
- Who doesn’t love the BCA spring golf tournament? This is another great event where members can relax and network at the same time.
- The Ride for Cancer had motorcycles touring through the Georgian Bay area this year. A fantastic committee organized prizes, a BBQ lunch and raised more than
- Members old and new gathered at one of Barrie’s newest establishments – Hooligan’s Restaurant for our Pub Night.
- On Sept. 15 we will be celebrating at our Member Appreciation Barbeque. Join us in the festivities, along with local dignitaries, past presidents and employees and our local procurement partners.
- BCA members can take advantage of many special discounts through our affinity program. Savings can be had on insurance, fuel, accommodations, business forms and much, much more. Details on all the great offerings can be found on the BCA website.
- Each year we update and publish our membership directory. This useful tool guides the buyers of construction directly to members. Copies are distributed hot off the press to all of the local procurement staff.
- Another useful tool for those looking to buy what you sell is our website. The on-line directory with alpha and divisional search capability means that your products and services are at the fingertips of local buyers. Free to all members is the details section…Send us your company history or project portfolio and we will add it to your listing.
- Access to industry forms such as substantial completion forms, CCDC 9A and B, health and safety checklists etc. can be found at the ‘Industry Tools’ button on the BCA home page.
- Don’t forget to connect! Find current news and comments on Facebook and Twitter.
Your 2017-18 Board of Directors is made up of 13 men and women who are committed to representing the membership. This dedicated group were chosen by the membership and are extremely engaged with the BCA and the various committees they serve on. It has been a privilege to serve with this fine group of people from industry – all of whom I consider friends.
I am honoured to serve our membership, the Board of Directors and the construction industry as the executive director of this association. The BCA staff are committed to supporting members on all levels.
I look forward to seeing everyone at upcoming events, and please feel free to drop by the BCA for a visit with the team at any time.