As we progress through the busy 2022 summer building season, your BCA staff enjoys the opportunity of reaching out to you, the membership, with an update on what we have been working on over the past year. In short, it has been a busy period, we have been focused on expanding the content of our plan room, our networking and fundraising events and we continue to develop relationships with our procurement partners. Supporting all of these efforts, I must acknowledge the hard work of your BCA team, Alicia Blow and Bryony Buchanan.
Please note the following highlights of our efforts in Procurement, Education, Networking and Member Care:
- The mandate of your Government Relations Committee is to ensure that the Association protects the industry’s interests regarding fair, open and transparent procurement and to develop and maintain relationships with the public buyers of construction and local government. The committee has met with procurement staff at the City of Barrie, Simcoe Muskoka Catholic District School Board and the Simcoe County District School Board. Upcoming meetings include the Town of Innisfil, Simcoe County, Bradford and other local procurement departments
- The BCA is providing you with more projects than ever with our alliance with ConstructConnect Canada (CCC). Along with the team of CCC researchers, the plans room staff provide you with all the project information your company needs through the ConstructConnect Project Intelligence (CCPI) platform. Other features now available to all members include Pre-Bid project details (included with your CCPI subscription), take-off tools (CCTO) and invitation to bid software (CCBM). We hope that as a BCA member you are taking full advantage of the on-line plan viewing. You’re not?? Give us a call and we can have you viewing plans and specs in no time.
- Partnering with the Simcoe County Heavy Construction Association (SCHCA), the BCA will once again host a Fall Golf Tournament, this year the event will take place at The Nest at Friday Harbour. Buyers of construction will be partnered up with BCA and SCHCA members to develop new connections and open the lines of communication in a relaxed, stress-free environment.
- Stay tuned for additional networking opportunities as we will be hosting an Economic Forecast this fall.
- BCA has a busy training schedule and members are taking full advantage of the competitively priced safety training, industry standards courses and the always popular Lunch & Learns. Industry experts have presented on Excess Soils, Prompt Payment, Construction Insurance & Surety, Project Delivery Methods, Mental Health and Managing Risk. All our Lunch & Learns are FREE for BCA members! Watch your inbox for upcoming sessions on Ethics, Best Practices for CCDC 2, Profitable contracting and so much more!
- The BCA is your source to purchase all CCA and CCDC documents and seals. You can order on-line from our website or call the office. We are your one stop source for construction related materials such as Green Books and Site Signage.
- We hosted our Annual General Meeting online once again this year (hopefully the last time!). Members logged in as your President, Blair Chalmers conducted the AGM business portion and then were challenged with a great game of Music Bingo.
- Who doesn’t love the BCA spring golf tournament!?! Another great event where members can relax and network at the same time. A record number of golfers turned out this year – 174 plyers!
- The Rowdy Ride had motorcycles touring throughout Simcoe County this year. A fantastic committee organized prizes, a lunch at the popular Loretto Tavern and raised over $14 000 – another record number!!
- On September 15th we will be firing up the grill for our Member Appreciation BBQ. Join us in the festivities along with local school boards and students.
- Our Women in Construction and Young Leaders groups continue to grow. Regular meetings connect individuals to foster the development of skills and relationships. Both groups are open for members to join.
- BCA members can take advantage of many special discounts through our affinity program. Savings can be had on insurance, fuel, accommodations, business forms and much, much more. We are adding additional affinity partners regularly so be sure to check often to see all the great offerings – details can be found on the BCA website.
- Each year we update and publish our Member Directory. This useful tool guides the buyers of construction directly to YOU. Copies are distributed hot-off-the-press to all local procurement staff.
- Another useful tool for those looking to buy what you sell is our website. The on-line directory with alpha and divisional search capability means that your products and services are at the fingertips of local buyers. FREE to all members is the details section…send us your company history or project portfolio and we will add it to your listing.
- Access to industry forms such as substantial completion forms, CCDC 9A and B, health and safety checklists etc. can be found at the ‘Industry Tools’ button on the BCA home page.
- Don’t forget to connect! Find current news and comments on Facebook and Twitter.
In terms of our 2022 Board of Directors, you will find 13 very committed men and women representing the membership. This dedicated group were chosen by the membership and are extremely engaged with the BCA, the various committees they serve on, and it has been a distinct privilege to serve with this fine group of people from industry – all of whom I consider friends.
I look forward to seeing everyone at upcoming events, and please feel free to drop by the BCA for a visit with the team at any time.