Special to the Barrie Construction Report
Infrastructure Ontario and Joseph Brant Hospital have released a request for proposals to the three teams shortlisted to design, build and finance the hospital’s redevelopment and expansion project. The new hospital construction is expected to start in early 2015 and the hospital is expected to be open in winter 2018/19.
A request for qualifications issued in April 2013 shortlisted the top three companies with the development, design, construction and financial capacity to undertake a project of this size and complexity. The three shortlisted companies invited to bid are:
- Kasian Architecture Ontario Inc.
- Graham Walsh Joint Venture
Integrated Team Solutions
- Parkin Architects Limited
- EllisDon Corporation
- Fengate Capital Management Ltd.
- HDR Architecture Associates, Inc.
- PCL Canada Inc.
- TD Securities Inc.
The project includes the construction of a new seven-storey patient-care tower, modern emergency department, Intensive Care Unit and significant renovations to the existing space. This will provide the growing community with improved access to a larger, more modern hospital and a hospital-wide average of 70 per cent single patient rooms to meet the highest standards for infection prevention and control and quality of care.
Highlights of the project include:
- additional acute inpatient beds
- nine modern operating rooms
- expanded diagnostic services
- a modern post-anaesthetic care unit
- expanded ambulatory care programs
- an expanded Cancer Clini
- renovated Special Care Nursery
- expanded medical, surgical and outpatient service
- a new main entrance
Infrastructure Ontario and the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care are working with Joseph Brant Hospital to expand and renovate the facility, which will remain publicly owned, publicly controlled and publicly accountable.