Barrie Construction Report staff writer
The Barrie Construction Association is hosting Lunch and Learn – Construction Labour Relations with speakers from the law firm Sherrard Kuzz LLP Ministry of Labour.
The registration deadline is noon on Jan. 20, 2014.
“Construction employers wishing to remain non-unionized can benefit from participating in this seminar,” the BCA announcement says. “Construction Employers are under tight timelines and specialized rules when dealing with a union attempting to organize their firm.
“This program is designed to provide construction employers with the information they need to respond appropriately in the event of union organizing.”
- How unions organize including “salting” of worksites
- Who does and does not count in an application for certification
- Issues involving temporary labour, “contract” workers, and working weekends and holidays
- How the “card check” system works
- The scope of lawful communications regarding unionization
- Steps to take immediately upon receipt of an application for certification
Speakers: Keith Burkhardt and Matthew Badrov, Sherrard Kuzz LLP, employment and labour lawyers